Welcome to the Law Society of Zimbabwe website

Frequently Asked Questions

 About Us / FAQs
  • How do I Complain against a LawyerOpen or Close

    You are advised to make a written complaint to the Executive Secretary. To speed up the process your written complaint should give out all relevant details and where possible attach relevant documents in support of the same. You can also complete the complaint form here

  • How do I choose a Lawyer?Open or Close

    The Law Society does not assist anyone in choosing lawyers but encourage people to choose lawyers they are comfortable with. You can choose these lawyers in terms of charges and their experience. Available for a small fee is a directory for all registered lawyers in private practice or you cansearch for the lawyers.

  • I have just attained my LLBS degree and transcript from a foreign university, what next?Open or Close

    The first step in converting a foreign LLBS qualification in order for one to be registered as a legal practitioner in Zimbabwe is to go to the Council for Legal Education. Their offices are situate at 7th Floor Century House, Nelson Mandela Avenue (Between Angwa Street and Julius Nyerere way). Tel: 04 774627, 04 788446 or you can visit their website.

  • What subjects are available for Conversion?Open or Close

    The following subjects are available for conversion:

    • Common Law 1
    • Common Law 2
    • Civil Procedure
    • Criminal Procedure
    • Evidence
    • Ethics
    • Statute Law of Zimbabwe
    • Book Keeping (Trust Accounts)
    • Conveyancing
    • Notarial Practice
  • When are the conversion exams offered?Open or Close

    Exams are offered every year in June and November, registration is generally open a month before exams but it is crucial to submit your application in advance. Kindly consult the Council for Legal Education offices well before your preferred month of sitting to avoid any disappointments.

  • Are there any tutorials or learning materials for the conversion exams?Open or Close

    Currently there are no formal tutorials in respect of the Bar Conversion Exams. The LSZ has, however, developed a full set of tutorial manuals canvassing all areas on the syllabus for exams. These will shortly be available to candidates at a nominal cost recovery price. The reason the LSZ is doing this is because it carries a mandate in terms of section 53 of the Legal Practitioners Act [Chapter 27:07] to provide means of securing efficiency and responsibility on the part of those seeking registration in Zimbabwe. Accordingly the project to come up with Bar Conversion Exam Tutorial Manuals is not a profit making venture but a response to an identified gap in terms of the provisions of the law.

  • What is a designated Degree and/or University?Open or Close

    A designated degree is an LLBS qualification that is locally obtained and designated in terms of a statutory proclamation by the Minister of Justice. This means that the holder of such a degree is not required by law to write bar conversion exams in order to apply for registration. Currently there are only two designated Law Degrees .i.e. University of Zimbabwe and Midlands State University Faculties of Law LLBS degrees. A designated university on the other hand is a foreign university designated in terms of the law by the Minister of Justice. Accordingly there is a list of designated foreign Universities situate in foreign jurisdictions. Holders of qualifications from designated universities are qualified to register to write conversion exams but not to register as legal practitioners. It is the list of designated universities that the LSZ checks your qualification against when you submit an application for registration. It is the same list that the Council for Legal Education consults before allowing you to convert your degree.